Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mothers Day Mom

As far back that I can remember you have been my role model for what a woman and mother should be. Your were always there through the good times and bad. Because of you I was able to have many many good times, and thanks to you I was able to get through the bad times. Your kind words, advice, your soft touch, sweet smile and big heart have made my 52 years on earth well worth living.

I remember as a child growing up in the projects, My brother, sister and I had no idea we were poor, you provided us a rich childhood because of your many sacrifices and we Thank You. We all have problems in life but you never seem to let yours seep into our awareness, to us you were perfect. You are our angel sent from heaven to protect, lead, guide, and teach us right from wrong. Its no wonder to this day that so many people regard you as the mother they never had. As a single parent in the 50's you stood as an example of what it was to be a strong black independent woman and we Thank You. The swift smack of your hand, the switch from the tree outside, the black belt, that look from across the room, and even the occasional ironing cord were all used as strategic weapons to mold and build us into becoming good children, good neighbors, model citizens and eventually role models ourselves, and we Thank You.

You surrounded us with that village that it takes to raise a child; Aunt Dot, Uncle Neil, Jessie, Aunt Lee, Aunt Julia, Mommy Hill, Aunt Josephine, Slain, Sevia, Stanley, Lloyd, Joanne, Billy, Ronald, Georgia, Uncle Odell, and the church. We appreciate the fact that you had the insight to know that the lessons learned from the village would prepare us for the crazy world of which we now live in. Thank You Mom

Your open door policy to all of our Friends and the respect you showed and received in the neighborhood only proved to us that you were one of a kind and we were blessed to have you as our mother. You can choose your friends and if I could choose a mother There is no question who I would choose I am so happy glad that the good Lord with his omnipotent power gave me to you and he did because he knew you would accept the responsibility and fulfill your obligation to do the best you could, and you did and I Thank You.

I would be remiss If I did not mention your culinary skills. Although you worked two jobs you still found time to bake cakes from scratch and to prepare dinner daily. You even taught us how to cook and no matter how hard I try it doesn't compare to your cooking. What was and still is most memorable are the Sunday dinners and Holiday feasts you would and still prepare. When word got out that you were fixing certain dishes like; macaroni and cheese, pork chops, fried chicken, collard greens, candied yams and potato salad friends and family would come from miles around just to get a plate. To this day the local ministers request your smothered pork chops, rice and gravy at their Judah quarterly meetings.
You are now 73 years old and you have not gotten older but better. You now not only continue to serve as a great mother but as a grandmother you have continued your tradition of being there for everyone and asking nothing in return. So on behalf of my brother Ricky my sister Barbara, your grandchildren, those that you serve as a surrogate mother, friends and family Happy Mothers Day and We Love You.

No comments:

Post a Comment